Office Closure

The Office of the Town Clerk/Tax Collector will be closed:
Wednesday, April 10th for training purposes.

Interested in Serving on a Town Board or Commission?

Volunteers Needed!!!

If there are any members of the community asking how they can get more involved, look no further. The Town of New Hampton has several positions, vacant or coming open, on several boards and commissions. We encourage anyone interested in filling one or more of the seats below to please fill out and send in the Volunteer Interest Form to the Selectmen’s Office.  Forms can be obtained from the Selectmen’s Office or go to the Town website: “Boards & Commissions” page. Some of the vacancies may be filled by current members whose term is expiring. These appointments will be made during the Select Board meeting on March 21, 2024. We ask that your Volunteer Interest Form be submitted by Tuesday March 19th. Any forms received after this deadline will be considered if there are any open seats remaining.

Vacant/Opening Position(s):

Conservation Commission                 4 Seats Open (2 Members & 2 Alternates)
Heritage Commission                        1 Member Seat Open
Planning Board                                  4 Seats Open (2 Members & 2 Alternates)
Zoning Board of Adjustment              3 Seats Open (2 Members & 1 Alternate) 

The Board is also always willing to consider adding alternates to Boards/Commissions. This allows citizens who are new to learn about the various processes before they become a voting member. Please feel free to reach out to the Selectmen’s office if you have any questions about any of the open positions or what the various Boards/Commissions do. We look forward to working with you!

Can I use my property as a Short-Term Rental?

It is possible… if you can obtain all the proper approvals first

Short-Term Rentals are regulated in the New Hampton Zoning Ordinances under the definition of “Bed & Breakfast/Tourist Home”, which is defined as “A single dwelling where transient accommodations for sleeping or living purposes for not more than six persons are provided for a fee.”

This use is permitted by Special Exception in all zoning districts except BI, BC2 & BC3 which requires application to and approval by the Zoning Board of Adjustment.  As this use is a change in use from residential to commercial real estate a Site Plan Review is also required by the Planning Board.

These approvals have to be in place prior to being offered for rental.

Please contact the Town Office if you require more information about this process, the regulations or if a property has obtained the proper approvals.

Can I add an "in-law apartment" to my property?

It is possible… if you can obtain the proper approvals first

An “in-law apartment” or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is defined in the New Hampton Zoning Ordinance as “A residential living unit that is within or attached to a single-family dwelling or accessory building, and that provides independent living facilities for one or more persons, including provisions for sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation on the same parcel of land as the principal dwelling unit it accompanies.”

This use is permitted by Special Exception in all zoning districts except BI and requires application to and approval by the Zoning Board of Adjustment.  There are specific criteria and size limitations that have to be met which can be found in the zoning ordinance; see Article V, Section Q:2.

Adding an ADU will require a Building Permit and an Occupancy Permit before occupying, and adding an ADU is not the same as just adding a bedroom to your home and may require a new septic design approval from NH DES due to the increased loading on the system which could exceed your current approved system.

These approvals have to be in place prior to construction and/or occupancy.

Please contact the Town Office if you require more information about this process, the regulations or if a property has obtained the proper approvals.

Historic Building Assessment

New Hampton Town House

We are excited to share with the community the recently completed Historic Building Assessment produced by Architectural Historian & Preservation Consultant Mae Williams and Preservation & Restoration specialist Steve Bedard, with the financial support of NH Preservation Alliance . 

This document will function as a guide for the Heritage Commission in its stewardship of this NH treasure.

In Need of Transportation??

Transport Central
Click here to access their site. 


Mid-State Regional Ride Resource Directory lists transportation services throughout NH, connecting people to transportation services in the community. Some services listed are free, some by donation, and some have reduced fees.

Click here to see the Mid-State Transport (MST) flyer with information on services provided to seniors and disabled persons or if you would like to volunteer.

Go to to be redirected to their website for further information.

Community Action Program

Your Resource for Healthy Aging – serving communities throughout Belknap and Merrimack Counties.

Click here to be redirected to their website.

Emergency Energy Assistance

The State of New Hampshire has recently adopted legislation to provide emergency energy assistance to qualifying households. The  assistance will be provided through the local Community Action Agencies.  Belknap CAP can be contacted via their website (link above) or by calling 603-223-0043.

Rural Transportation Services 

offers door to door demand response transit services through their senior centers. Or become a volunteer through the Volunteer Driver Program.


Go to: to be redirected to their website for further information.

Latest News: 

Waukewan Watershed Overlay Committee seeking New Hampton residents to serve on committee (more...)

NH residents encouraged to use online fire permit program (more...)

The Belknap County Drug Task Force along with participating area law enforcement agencies cannot be successful without the assistance and support of the citizens.  We welcome... (more...)

New Hampton Historical Society Membership form (more...)

New Hampton Garden Club (more...)

Take Precautions Against Multiple Diseases Carried by Ticks (more...)

Social Day Care Program for Seniors with Alzheimers (more...)

Introducing the new "Belknap House" (more...)

Track Your Ballot (more...)

Free NH Alerts Cellphone App from NHDOS (more...)

Important Information on Smoke Alarms (more...)

New Hampton Nature-Fitness Trail

New pedestrian trail...Take a nice stroll (more...)

Click here for Trail Guidelines

Facebook page and facebook page disclaimer

Health Tips

From the NH Dept of
Health and Human Services

Prevention Guidelines for West Nile Virus

West Nile Virus Risk Map for New Hampshire

Tick bites and Lyme Disease Treatment

Well Testing

Information about water quality testing for private wells - from the N.H. Dept. of Environmental Services